Jan 4, 2016

Palettes That Are Not Worth The Hype

self made palette too faced contour palette it cosmetics naturally pretty matte palette

It Cosmetics Naturally Pretty Palette

I was so excited when the postwoman dropped this off. In Canada, it is difficult to get It Cosmetics, so I ordered this palette through beautylish.com. I am always impressed with beautylish and I definitely recommend giving it a bit of a browse.

The eye shadows are all satins, and there is a "pearl" eye shadow that is supposed to transform them into shimmers. Honestly, this is a bit gimmicky and most probably use this one as a highlight, but I digress.

The colour payoff isn't what I thought it would be, and differs across the board from colour to colour. You need to use an eye shadow base or primer with this palette. Also, I do not see the need for so many light shades that all look the same on the eye. These eye shadows have some fall out, and it takes a while to build up the colour.



If you do like It Cosmetics eye shadows and find they work for you, I would opt for the limited edition mini version, available on their website now.

Anastasia Beverly Hills Self-made Palette

I was really surprised with this one. I think the colour selection is genius, and if you are a makeup artist, the colour offered in this palette is great. Anastasia has great quality, but when a client brought this palette to me recently, I found the shadows patchy and powdery, lacking pigment and not as easy to blend as I had hoped.


I found some of the shades easier to work with than others, but I think MAC has this one beat. I would turn to this palette as a guide if I was a new makeup artist and I was custom building a palette for my fashion/editorial work.

Urban Decay Naked 1 Palette

I still flip flop with this one, because the actual shades in this palette are quite beautiful. That being said, the amount of shimmer and glitter in these eye shadows is criminal. If they came out with an all matte version of this palette, it would be amazing. The fallout from these is ridiculous, and most makeup artists stay away from this one for that reason. I think this one is more for makeup junkies than makeup artists, as it is a bit of a nightmare to work with if you are not careful. If you have a light to medium skin tone, a better option may be the Naked2Basics palette, which is a matte palette with cooler or ashy tones. You can use this for brows as well.

Too Faced Cocoa Contour Chiseled to Perfection

This palette is so close to being perfection that I included it mainly because, the highlight shimmer shade is so off point it makes me question the entire thing. Large chunks of glitter on your face is a big pet peeve of mine, and seeing them on my cheekbones instead of a glow or sheen is unacceptable in my book. The contour shades are brilliant, matte and creamy. The packaging is a bit bulky,. which is another reason this one made the list, but over all, I cannot get over how wrong the highlight shade is in this one.

The brush it comes with is very cute, but not for contour as it picks up too much product. I would use it for setting concealer, or smoothing out your makeup once it is on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe

Labels

Flickr