Jan 1, 2015

What to Try, Buy and Skip: Charlotte Tilbury


I first discovered Charlotte Tilbury on YouTube. She was a guest makeup artist on Lisa Eldridge`s channel and she did a few different looks- her go-to is that smudgey but polished Kate Moss look. She is a bit of a rock-chic, and fully embraces and embodies the full face of makeup. She has been in the biz for over 20 years, and has worked on everyone from Naomi Campbell to the Rolling Stones.
I think she looks at makeup as a supremely glamourous gift you can give yourself- so why not. Her line embodies this message, and the packaging is to die for. That being said, there are a few misses in this line, and a few stars:

Buy-
 



Filmstar Bronze & Glow 
This product is definitely the star of the line. A beautiful bronzer that doubles as a contour, it is impossible to over-do it with this one. The highlighter has a soft golden pearl, which is more luminous than shiny. The compact these two are housed in is so sleek and glamorous.










Powder & Sculpt Brush
This brush has a tapered tip that makes it the perfect companion to the Filmstar Bronze & Glow. The precision this brush offers is perfect for chiseling those cheekbones. The handle (like all her brushes) is designed to stay put and not roll off your vanity- a nice touch.











                                                                   
                                                                                   Lip Cheat in Pillow Talk
This pencil is sure to graduate into cult status.A water-proof velvety pencil that will help you achieve Kylie Jenner sized lips (if that's what you are after!).


















Try-


K.I.S.S.I.N.G So Marilyn Lipstick

I think one way to judge a makeup line is by it's mascara and red lipstick- two iconic beauty products that every woman owns.  Lipstick has come a long way and Charlotte may have just nailed the holy grail of lipsticks.This isn't your mother's lipstick!













Air Brush Flawless Finish Powder
 A fine powder in a gorgeous compact. Never heavy, with rose wax and almond oil to hydrate. The shades are a match for many different skin tones to boot.













Skip-

Lip Gloss
I was pretty disappointed with these. It is hard to improve upon lip gloss. However, I don't think there is anything particularly new or special about these. Also, on a side note, they taste/smell a little weird.

Colour Chameleon Chubby Pencil
I really wanted to like these. However, I found them difficult to blend, and honestly, kind of messy. I think there are better shadow sticks out there. The shade Black Diamonds, which I was particularly excited about, just didn't do it for me. I think the silver glitter running through it is too chunky.

Blush
 I appreciate the amount of product you get for your money, and I originally liked the idea of the two colours, but I found the actual formula too shiny. It is hard to explain, but I was expecting a pigmented almost creamy blush. Not impressed with the finish on these. I think they look better in the pan than on the face.










On The Fence-

Magic Cream 
This cream is a wish come true. Used backstage at every fashion week, this life saver is Charlotte's secret weapon, and now she has let us in on it. My only "beef" is the hefty price tag. I mean, who can justify spending $100+ on a moisturizer?

Eyeshadow Palettes
While the colour combos and packaging is on point (love the absence of those cheapy applicators) the eyeshadow formula itself just isn't up to snuff. I find many of the shades are very glittery and shiny, they just emphasize any fine lines. The glittery purple shade in the Glamour Muse palette, for example, is not very pigmented at all. Too much glitter and not enough substance.

The range overall is quite good, but I am curious to see how it evolves over time. What are your favourites?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe

Labels

Flickr