Dec 30, 2014

What to Buy, Try and Skip: Real Techniques


http://beautytimewithdaniela.blogspot.ca/2014/12/what-to-buy-try-and-skip-real-techniques.html

 There are many many products out there that are over-hyped on the internet- especially beauty products.  Today`s post, as you can probably tell, is about my experience with Real Techniques- a line of brushes and cosmetics by Sam and Nic Chapman a.k.a Pixiwoo

Now, I am a big fan of these girls, as they are entrepreneurs and respected makeup artists in their own right. I was a bit skeptical about these brushes, but I have to say they are very good quality and I carry them in my pro kit. They are durable, wash after wash, I haven`t seen any loose bristles or deformities.


That being said, there are brushes that I use almost every day, and others I rarely if ever use. Here are my top picks to buy, try and skip:

Buy-

http://www.amazon.ca/Real-Techniques-Expert-Face-Brush/dp/B007O7AZBG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1420584847&sr=8-2&keywords=real+techniques

Expert Face Brush
This brush is exceptional at applying cream products- amazing for cream or liquid foundations. This brush really buffs the product into the skin and is great for blending full coverage foundations. I also like to use this brush for cream contour/bronzer as the longer arched shape fits well into the cheek bones, forehead and jaw line.







http://www.amazon.ca/Real-Techniques-RLT-1407-Blush-Brush/dp/B004TSFBJO/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=15121&creative=330641&keywords=real%20techniques&linkCode=ur2&qid=1420643817&sr=8-4&tag=factimwitdan-20



Blush Brush
Don't be intimidated by it's size, this brush does all the blending for you in one sweep. If you pick up too much product, this brush has a way of applying the right amount. Also great for powder, and bronzing up the face for a health complexion.










http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B004TSFBNK/?ie=UTF8&camp=15121&creative=330641&keywords=real%20techniques&linkCode=ur2&qid=1420643817&sr=8-1&tag=factimwitdan-20Contour Brush
This little beauty is a great all rounder for cream products, especially highlight and contour (hence the name). It is also great for blending out concealer.














http://www.amazon.ca/Real-Techniques-Shading-Brush-Ounce/dp/B004TSFB1M/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=15121&creative=330641&keywords=real%20techniques&linkCode=ur2&qid=1420643817&sr=8-10&tag=factimwitdan-20

Shading Brush
What I love about this line is the brushes really grab the product, so you really don't experience that much fallout, even from cheaper powder products. The shading brush is essential for any kind of eye work, and blends concealer perfectly as well.
 









http://www.amazon.ca/Real-Techniques-RLT-1413-Setting-Brush/dp/B007O7AYYE/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=15121&creative=330641&keywords=real%20techniques&linkCode=ur2&qid=1420646099&sr=8-7&tag=factimwitdan-20
Setting Brush
I love this brush for blending any harsh lines from blush, concealer, eye shadow- whatever needs a flawless finishing touch. It is also great for setting concealer under the eyes and for adding highlight to the face. Like all RT brushes, it works beautifully for creams and powders.









Skip-
http://www.amazon.ca/Real-Techniques-Limited-Fiber-Collection/dp/B00CF7MZ72/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=15121&creative=330641&keywords=real%20techniques&linkCode=ur2&qid=1420646548&sr=8-16&tag=factimwitdan-20 
Multi Task Brush


I wanted to really like this brush, but I found it rough on the face. Also,it has lost a lot of it's shape over time.

Brow Brush
I find this brush much, much too large for the brows. It is difficult to be precise with this brush. Not a fan.

Foundation Brush
I am not a fan of these classic-shaped foundation brushes as I find them streaky and inefficient.I find it time consuming to blend product and I don't enjoy the experience of using it at all.

Duo Fiber Collection 
I found this collection more of a disappointment than anything else. I just don't really see the point of these brushes. The shapes are weird and the packaging looks cheap. 

Core Collection & Starter Set
I find that the per-assembled collections from this brand confusing. I don't use most of the brushes in the sets, and they don't cover all the bases. I also find the smaller brushes like the detailer brush a complete waste of space.

Sponge
I would stay away from gimmicky sponges in general. Sponges, even with a good wash, retain a lot of bacteria and product. They need to be replaced quite frequently, and to me are a waste of money. Invest in good brushes instead.

Try-

http://www.amazon.ca/Real-Techniques-Retractable-Lip-Brush/dp/B00GXFZH6S/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=15121&creative=330641&keywords=real%20techniques&linkCode=ur2&qid=1420646999&sr=8-27&tag=factimwitdan-20
Retractable Lip Brush
This is great on-the-go and has a lid, which will help to keep your makeup bag clean. I also like the pointed-square shape of the bristles, very user-friendly.






http://www.amazon.ca/Real-Techniques-Fine-Liner-Brush/dp/B007O7AZ3O/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=15121&creative=330641&keywords=real%20techniques&linkCode=ur2&qid=1420647108&sr=8-28&tag=factimwitdan-20

Liner
As far as liner brushes go, I would give this one a try. The long bristles make it easier to apply gel liner. Great for makeup newbies. 












http://www.amazon.ca/Real-Techniques-Retractable-Kabuki-Brush/dp/B00GXFZLGO/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=15121&creative=330641&keywords=real%20techniques&linkCode=ur2&qid=1420648132&sr=8-12&tag=factimwitdan-20

Kabuki
I love a good kabuki brush and I would give this one a go. A great brush to carry in your bag for touch-ups on the go, or for blending out a heavy-handed makeup application.
















Modern Natural Makeup Kit
I really like the mix of textures and colours in this palette. I think the lip glosses are a bit of a throw away. Could be a great gift for someone just getting into makeup.


Real Techniques have just launched new brushes, the Bold Metals Collection. Stay tuned for my reviews on those!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe

Labels

Flickr